Yesterday was my 2-year-anniversary, and being married to Terrence is still pretty awesome. Some folks say that the first year is the honeymoon stage, and after that is when you’re really able to tell if your marriage has staying power. If that’s true (and I don’t really think it is, but I’ll humor it) then Terrence and I are good to go!
The key to making a marriage work is having good communication. Both Terrence and I are still discovering ways to get better at this, and I have a feeling that it’s just something couples have to keep at for their entire lives. As we change and grow as individuals, we have to modify the way that we communicate with our spouse. This can change from day to day sometimes, too. I mean, we’re human and we’re constantly evolving.
As Terrence and I grow together, and keep getting to know each other on a deeper and intimate level as life partners, there are a few things that I want to make sure he knows to be true for me right now, in this moment.
25 Things I Want My Husband To Know
- You really are my best friend. Yes, I have BFF’s that I’ve had forever and I will always love them, but you are the BFFiest of all.
- I don’t really remember what life was like before you. I have memories, for sure, but for some reason it feels like you were always there. Weird.
- I am unable to keep secrets from you. I always crack. There’s a little voice in my head saying, “Tell him. Tell him.”
- Whenever you bring flowers home and I scream, I really am that excited. I love them. Thank you!
- Even though I’ve been hurt in the past, none of that even affects me anymore. Your love has totally wiped that hurt away. I never even knew that was possible.
- Watching you get dressed for work in the morning is my favorite part of the day. Also? I love your cologne.
- I’m so proud of the way you’ve been able to pivot your entire life. You went back to school, started a new career, and have already done so much good work in your new field. That inspires me.
- Your parents are awesome. They are a huge part of the reason I married you. 😉
- I can’t imagine Ayva having a father that is as loving and attentive as you. You two drive me crazy, and I couldn’t ask for a better family.
- Sometimes I’m going to be moody for no reason. I’m an emotional lady. If you know there’s no reason, and I seem super high strung, back away quickly. Try again later.
- Sometimes there will be a reason that I’m moody. I may not be able to express why or what’s going on, but I trust that you’ll know what to do.
- I’ll never stop loving you, but whenever I hear you crunch potato chips or sunflower seeds from the other room, it kind of makes stop liking you for a little bit.
- You were right…football and basketball are fun to watch.
- You’re wrong about ketchup. It’s not delicious at all. Oh, and it definitely does NOT belong on grits.
- Whenever something happens, good or bad, you’re the absolute first person I think to call.
- One of my biggest fears is doing something to disappoint you. It makes me feel good when you’re proud of me.
- I know that there are a lot of challenges in being a father, husband and head of household. I am always thinking of ways to decrease your stress and make things easier for you. I’m your partner.
- I love it when you tell me how good I look. It’s okay to tell me if there’s a certain style in particular that you prefer. I aim to please. 🙂
- Please don’t B.S. me. If I’m wrong, call me out on it. I might not like you in the moment, but I’ll appreciate it in the long run.
- I trust you.
- You make amazing french fries. Please make them more often.
- Our wedding day was one of the best days of my life.
- Meeting you was one of the best days of my life.
- The day you adopted Ayva and we all became a forever family for real was one of the best days of my life.
- You completely changed my life for the better.