I am a proud ScholarShare 529 Ambassador. This is a sponsored post.
What does it take to get your kids excited about college?
As a kid, I couldn’t wait to go to college. I grew up watching shows like A Different World, and movies like School Daze, and I wanted to experience what I saw on the screens. My parents didn’t attend college, but they were supportive of me going.
My husband and I are both adamant that our kids attend college after they graduate high school. Even though it’s a mandate, I want them to be excited about it. We’re starting now. Our daughter is 9, and the baby is only 13 months, but it’s not too soon to get them in a college state of mind!
How to get your kids excited about college
1. Take them to visit college campuses. You don’t have to have a reason to visit a college campus. If there’s a university in your town, walk around on a sunny day. Take some lunch and find a place to eat on the quad on a sunny day. Watching the college kids stroll by will start to instill in your little ones the possibility of higher education.
2. Attend events on college campuses. There are always cool things happening on college campuses. From the arts to sporting events, it doesn’t matter what your child is interested in, you’ll be able to find something that resonates with them. It’s a great way to show how diverse and interesting college is!
3. Talk to them about your college experience. If you went to college, talk to your child about what it was like for you. Don’t just talk about the fun stuff, either. Tell them about lessons you learned (even if it was the hard way), and let them know how college shaped the person that you are.
4. Sign up for camps or classes at local colleges. Most colleges have camps or classes for kids at some point on their campus. Sign your child up for something on campus so that they can get a real feel of what it’s like to be on the yard on a consistent basis.
5. Involve them in saving for college. Let your child know that you are saving up for them to attend college, and sit down and have a savings meeting with them on a regular basis. When you save with ScholarShare 529 , your child can learn about building an investment portfolio and watch your money grow over time. You can assure them that they can use their funds at any accredited institution, so they can study anything they want!