If you know me at all, you know that I love me some sweet potatoes! I don’t know what it is about them, but for the last couple of months, I start going through withdrawals if I don’t have them at least 3 times per week. Sweet potatoes are pretty much a super food, rich in Vitamin C when baked, and goodness, they just taste so darned good! I fell in love with California sweet potatoes back in November when I made my first ever sweet potato pie. Instead of boiling the sweet potatoes for the pie, I baked them. That pie was so sweet and crazy delicious…and I was in love.
Since then, I’ve been popping one in the oven most mornings after breakfast and slowly baking it until lunchtime. At the grocery store today, though, the Produce Manager told me a trick for baking sweet potatoes faster. I’m sure y’all already knew this, so please excuse my excitement for picking up this time-saver today! So, how DO you bake a sweet potato?
1. Preheat the oven for 425 degrees.
2. Wash the sweet potato and dry it off really good.
3. Cover the sweet potato in foil and place on a cookie pan. Put it in the oven.
4. Wait patiently for 45 minutes as your sweet potato cooks. The wait will be tough. Trust me.
5. Once time is up, take the sweet potato out of the oven and carefully open the foil.
6. Dress your sweet potato. We usually only use cinnamon, although we’ve been known to add a dab of butter at times!
Can you see why I love them so much now? They’re so easy to make, and as a work at home mom, the smell of them baking seem to put me in a great mood. I’m moving into the “make something with sweet potatoes” phase now, so check back next week where I’ll share a easy recipe using the sweet potatoes!