I’ve really needed some affirmations for body image lately.
It’s been several years since my last child, and as soon as I started getting used to my postpartum body, my 40+-year-old body started throwing me curveballs.
Like a lot of moms, I frequently put the needs of my family before my own.
I’m constantly juggling a million things at once, which leaves little time for self-care or self-love.
Add that to my changing body, first through postpartum and now simply because I’m getting older, it has been a bit of a struggle to feel good about myself.
I started to feel a lot better, though, by taking intentional time to take care of myself.
Good food, moving my body, meditation, and affirmations have been helping my esteem a lot.
What are body image affirmations?
Affirmations are phrases that help us focus on our positive qualities.
When we repeat affirmations regularly, we can shift our mindset from one of self-doubt to one of self-love and acceptance.
Affirmations were such a powerful tool to help improve my confidence and self-esteem.
Here are 15 positive body image affirmations to repeat regularly:
- I appreciate and respect my body.
- I am proud of my body for all of its unique features and qualities.
- My body deserves to be nourished with healthy foods and self-care.
- I choose to focus on the wonderful ways my body serves me.
- I’m grateful for the positive experiences I’ve had in my body.
- I am confident in my own skin.
- I see myself through a lens of love and kindness.
- My body is strong and capable.
- I am worthy of feeling comfortable in my body.
- I am beautiful inside and out.
- I am grateful for my body’s resilience and strength.
- I am beautiful exactly the way I am.
- I love my body.
- I honor my body by treating it with kindness and respect.
- I release the need to compare myself to others.
Affirmations alone are not enough, though.
Focusing on my self-care was a critical part of rebuilding my body image.
The good thing about self-care is that it doesn’t have to be complicated.
3 easy ways to practice self-care:
- Take a few minutes each day to practice deep breathing or meditation to calm your mind and reduce stress levels.
- Treat yourself to a relaxing bubble bath or massage. Taking care of your body can be a form of self-love in itself.
- Make time for activities that help you relax, whether it’s reading a book, going for a walk, or taking a dance class.
We have to take care of ourselves
I’m talking specifically to women here—taking care of ourselves is not selfish.
It’s essential for our own well-being, as well as for the well-being of those we love.
We have to take care of ourselves.
I made a set of free affirmation cards that you can download to practice positive body image affirmations.
Download free affirmations for body image cards
These cards include positive affirmations designed specifically for women (and girls), to help you feel confident and empowered in your own skin.
Developing or regaining a positive body image is a journey, and it’s not always easy.
Affirmations and self-care have helped me to learn to love and appreciate my body fully and unconditionally, and I hope it can do the same for you.