Christmas is the season for cookies. Well, if I’m keeping it real, any season is the season for cookies. Christmas just gives us an excuse to eat more of them. It also gives us an opportunity to get inventive because folks are much more open to trying new things. As long as it looks like a cookie and tastes like a cookie, chance are good that it’ll get eaten!
Which leads me to this: Granola Chocolate Chip Cookies.
These cookies are so easy and so delicious that I’m kicking myself for not trying it sooner. Ayva and I love oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and these are like that but with a third level of flavor that’s out of this world. You can use any kind of granola that you like to create a custom cookie based on your taste preference. I love Almond Coconut Granola from the CVS Gold Emblem Abound line, so I used that this time in this recipe. I was not disappointed. In fact, I had to will myself to stop eating them and save some for when my family comes home. That’s what Santa would want me to do, right?
Or would Santa want me to eat them all up? I mean, I don’t recall him leaving any cookies behind. Hmm.
While I’m figuring out if I’m going to be naughty or nice, check out this easy recipe. Don’t worry that some of the sugar measurements might seem low. Since most granola has some sugar added, I reduced the amount in the recipe to account for that. The same goes for the salt. Enjoy!
Granola Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter (can be straight from the fridge, see my tip below!)
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup of your favorite granola
- 4 oz. chocolate chips
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare a cookie sheet with butter or cooking spray.
- Remove the butter from wrapper, but in a bowl and microwave until soft (about 20 – 30 seconds). Remove from microwave and place in freezer.
- Stir the dry ingredients together in one bowl (flour, baking soda, and salt).
- Take the butter of out the freezer and mix with the brown sugar, granulated sugar, egg, water and vanilla.
- Mix the egg mixture with the flour mixture.
- Stir in the granola and chocolate chips.
- Bake for about 8 minutes. Take the cookies out when the edges and bottom look brown. Don’t wait until the top looks brown. Once they’re out of the oven, they’ll continue cooking for a few minutes and the top will turn brown.
- Place cookies on a wire cooling rack.